Mile2 Cybersecurity Certifications

OCU C)ISSO D Discussion Lesson 18

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jessica Jagerson
      Keymaster

Fire is a major physical security issue in organizations.  As the security officer, how can you go above and beyond the fire marshal’s approval and continue to prevent fires?

Marcena Davis
      Participant

As a security officer, there are several steps you can take to go above and beyond the fire marshal’s approval and continue to prevent fires in your organization. Here are a few examples:

Conduct regular fire safety inspections: Conducting regular fire safety inspections can help identify potential fire hazards and ensure that fire safety measures are being properly maintained. Inspections can include checking fire suppression systems, testing smoke detectors and alarms, inspecting electrical systems, and ensuring that fire exits are clear and unobstructed.

Implement additional fire safety measures: In addition to meeting the fire marshal’s requirements, consider implementing additional fire safety measures, such as installing sprinkler systems in areas that are not required by code, adding fire-resistant materials to walls and ceilings, or installing automatic fire doors.

Provide regular fire safety training: Providing regular fire safety training to employees can help ensure that they understand the risks associated with fires and know how to respond in the event of a fire. Training should include information on how to use fire extinguishers, how to evacuate the building safely, and how to respond to a fire alarm.

Review emergency response plans: Reviewing emergency response plans on a regular basis can help ensure that they are up-to-date and effective. Plans should include procedures for responding to fires, including evacuation procedures, emergency contact information, and protocols for contacting the fire department.

Foster a culture of safety: Creating a culture of safety can help reinforce the importance of fire safety and encourage employees to take proactive measures to prevent fires. This can include recognizing and rewarding employees for good safety practices, encouraging employees to report potential hazards, and regularly communicating the importance of fire safety to all employees.

By taking these additional steps, you can help ensure that your organization is well-prepared to prevent fires and respond effectively in the event of a fire. This can help minimize the risk of damage to property, injuries to employees, and other negative impacts on the organization.

Kevin Mehok
        Participant

Marcena,

I loved your post! In Chicago no new building gets built without smoke alarms, CO2 detectors, flame detectors, sprinkler systems, emergency stair wells that are fire proof. Yet, I have never ever attend one safely drill class or training at any of these buildings. Besides a bunch of maps telling one where to go, it doesn’t really say what to do, or how to do it. I loved and see the value in our action plan post!

Great job.

God Bless,

Kevin

Kelly Crooks
        Participant

Marcena I think we shared some of the same views on how to prevent fire. One thing I think people forget is common sense and staying calm, should a fire happen. I have never been the victim of a fire where almost everything was lost, but I have family members that have. It is devastating to lose everything but in most cases the fires they were victim to could have been avoided. Fire safety training is so important and I don’t think enough companies and organizations have regular or any fire safety training. Like Kevin said other than maps telling us where we are and where the exit is and how to get there, there is no training.

Kevin Mehok
      Participant

IST3100 Information Systems Security Officer
      Week Five
      Assignment #4
      WK5 Fire Marshall Discussion
      Kevin Mehok

Hey Class,

I am responsible so setting up NSOs or new locations/collision centers for a leading EV company. The fire marshalls and inspectors in every city, town, county, and state are all different. The truth is, we secure our buildings and our teammates because it is the right thing to do. Not because someone tells us to do so.

We have evacuation plans and thermal blanket training monthly in the event of a fire. Lithium batteries are very dangerous and create explosive heat if not contained or controlled. We have well laid out plans and we constantly preform risk assessments to ensure we are doing the best and most effective action plans.

God Bless,

Keivn

Marcena Davis
        Participant

Hey Kevin,

I was really interested to read about your experience setting up NSOS (new locations/collision centers) for an EV company. It must be quite a challenge dealing with different fire marshals and inspectors in every city, town, county, and state. But your dedication to securing the buildings and ensuring the safety of your teammates is truly commendable.
        It’s enlightening to hear about the importance of being prepared and vigilant in handling potentially dangerous situations.
        Keep up the fantastic work, Kevin!

Kelly Crooks
        Participant

Kevin, I agree that you should secure a building and teammates because it is the right thing to do not because someone tells you to. We secure our homes and automobiles because it is the right thing to do not because someone told us to. Along with having all the correct fire suppression and containment equipment, I also think that making sure that one’s fire and building insurance is up to date and adequate to cover any physical and/or data loss. If an organization isn’t covered policy wise correctly that can mean huge out-of-pocket expenses to them and their clients or customers.

Kelly Crooks
      Participant

A security officer’s duties not only include protecting the organization’s data and thwarting cyber attacks, it is also making sure the proper fire and safety policies and procedures are in place. Making sure the organization complies with local city and state fire regulations is important but there are other things as a security officer that can be implemented.

One thing is to make sure that every person that works in the physical location knows and understands the fire plan and procedure. Make sure that the route is clear and well-marked. Making sure that everyone knows what to do in case of a fire will make sure that no one is injured or dies in a fire.

Making sure that all potential items or situations that could cause a fire are dealt with promptly. Make routine inspections of problematic areas in the location. Taking care of those issues before it’s too late will help to ensure that a fire doesn’t happen.

Make sure you have the correct fire suppression system installed and that it works properly. Not only overhead sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers but chemical suppression as well. I remember going into the server room with my brother when he worked in the IT department at our local university. The room had its separate fire suppression system installed and could be activated remotely and independently from the rest of the suppression system in the building.

Regular practices and drills will help make sure everyone is on the same page and understands what to do in the case of a fire. A security officer needs to make sure that local first responders have the current and updated information for the organization and that the organization has the correct first responder information as well.

The last thing I think that a security officer can implement is making sure the work environment is clean, safe, and secure. A security officer needs to walk the grounds of the property and make sure that not only the inside structure is maintained properly but the outside as well.

Marcena Davis
      Participant

Hey Kelly,

Great post, as it reminded me of the diverse responsibilities a security officer holds. It’s not just about protecting data and preventing cyber-attacks; ensuring fire and safety policies and procedures are in place is equally important.

I couldn’t agree more with the need to educate and familiarize every person in the organization with the fire plan and procedure. Clear and well-marked evacuation routes are crucial to ensuring everyone’s safety. By making sure everyone knows what to do in case of a fire, you’re taking proactive steps to prevent injuries or even fatalities.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SUPPORT

Please Note:

The support ticket system is for technical questions and post-sale issues.

If you have pre-sale questions please use our chat feature or email information@mile2.com .